Saturday, August 04, 2007

South Jordan Flooding


We had quite a Friday afternoon. It all started on Thursday night when Brian had noticed the window well was filling in the basement from a rainstorm. He quickly started to bucket out the water not realizin the real source of the problem. The next day when I was home without Brian and it started to rain I got a little nervous. I was preparing myself to go out and start bailing the water out (about an inch), when Luke fell and hit his head. So while I was attending to Luke the window well began to fill quite quickly and a slow rain fall turned into a down poor. I was freaking out when I saw the water line coming to the window and how quickly it was pouring in from the sides of the well. So I jumped in the window well (I feel need to remind everyone that I'm 4 weeks away from delivery), and started bailing water out of the window. This continued on for about an hour, which seemed like a day. I was trying to get Carter to call Brian home on the phone but Carter couldn't hear what I was saying over all the rain, and I couldn't get out of the window well once I was in there. All in all we recieved around 2 inches of rain in a 30 minute span. The water had nowhere to go. All the empty fields West of our homes drained right into our property. They closed 11800 south because the road turned into a river. The rain stopped around 2:30 pm and the flooding coming down from the mountain was still in full force at 7:00. All the houses that line the West field were flooded. In our case the water came from the West side of the house where all the rocks are (there was a big lake on the side of the house) and continued to drain in a foot wide river around the curbing, under our cement pad for the deck and into the first window well in the back yard. I couldn't keep up with all the drainage and my neighbor Mike, from behind us was home, he came over and helped me in my window. Between the two of us we kept the water at bay. You can go to http://www.ksl.com/ to see the footage of the flood and the river flowing down 118000 south. After we made sure that our home was ok we started checking on the nieghbors. We weren't the only ones, 3 homes just in our circle were out pumping water. Across the street 2 or 3 basements were ripping out padding and drying carpet. It was a crazy day.Now that I've had time to recover, I'm going to need more time to recover from a pulled muscle under my big belly. It really hurts to walk.I'm trying to post a picture of our backyard neighbors trampoline. They dug a 4 foot hole 13 feet wide for their trampoline and our backyard drained into it and filled it up. Our whole backyard turned into a lake. So needless to say the boys were in heaven. The trampoline was the best though. So I took a picture of how full the water had gotten. I didn't get to take any other cool pictures since I was the one soaked standing in a window well.Just for a side note........I had just had a pedicure done on Thursday night, so my main concern was the perfect nail polish on my toes getting ruined. But we are good on that front

No comments: