
For those of you not following the saga of the past weeks with Carter's eyes --- Carter came home from school with a report from the school nurse saying he needed to get his eyes checked. So being to good little Mom that I am I waited a fews days and them took him in. I was just shocked when the doctor told me his eye sight was "really bad". He has 20/60 in his right eye and 20/70 in his left. The doctor then said that he has a astigmatism that is really severe that causes blurryness in his up-close vision. So after all the medical teminology was done I just asked if he was having a hard time seeing near or far? Then I got the shock of "he can't see either". So after I wiped the tears away (tears of guilt and of a huge weight being lifted) Carter and I set out to pick out the perfect pair of glasses. We ended up with a pair that Carter calls his Superman glasses. They are indestructable. You can twist them and bend them and the lenses are scratch proof and UV protected. Wow how glasses have changed in the last 10 years. We left in high hopes of getting them within the week.
So on Thursday when I saw the office on my caller ID I was so excited, maybe just a little too excited. The doctor called at 2:15 and we were there to get them at 2:30. Carter was really excited. He walked away with his glasses on real slow as I proceeded in my normal speed. I turned around and he looked so confused. He said he felt really tall and that the floor was so far away. He needed me to hold his hand so he didn't trip. The first thing he said was "Look I can see the back of the store and there are people back there". He just kept looking around and pointing out all the things he could see. He would lower his glasses and say "can't see" and then put them back up and say "can see, can't see, can see". I was just so excited for him my heart was beating so fast.
We went outside to the car and he was so excited to see all the mountains surrounding us. He said they were so big and had snow on them. I guess the snow on them is something he couldn't make out before.
He is still not so sure about wearing them to school and putting them on in front of his friends. That will come. I try hard to keep them on his head, although he tells me he doesn't need them on to play. I want them to be on all day, but I know he has to get used to them. It's such a big change in his life. We are all hoping his school work improves and life will be a little easier at the homework table. We'll keep everyone posted.



2 comments:
That is so great! I am excited for Carter, and hope that this makes a huge difference in his life. I am happy for you, too! He looks adorable!
Awesome...he looks so cute. It is so cool he got the superman glasses!!! WOW.
Post a Comment